How To Look After Pre-Bonded Hair Extensions.
At Secret Hair, we are experts in the field of Pre-Bonded Hair Extensions. Which is why we have created our ‘How To Look After Secret Hair Extensions’ guide; which shows you how to care for your hair extensions appropriately, from pre-fitting preparation to aftercare tips and tricks, we know what to do.
We supply luxury, double drawn human hair in all of the extensions we use. This guide will focus on the correct aftercare action for Pre-Bonded Hair Extensions.
Preparation For Pre-Bonded Hair Extension Fitting:
- During your consultation inform your technician of any allergies, damage, sensitive scalp issues, hair loss or underlying problems that will have to be considered before a fitting. We do this to ensure the safety of you and your hair.
- Freshly washed hair is essential for your appointment. Use a clarifying shampoo and a little conditioner for best results. Oily or greasy hair can make it harder for your new pre-bonded hair extensions to hold sufficiently.
- Come in with product free, straight hair.
- Be aware of your hair length, extensions can be fitted in shoulder length hair, it is important to remember that extensions in shorter hair are harder to blend and may have a ‘tight’ feeling after fitting.
Pre-Bonded Hair Extensions Aftercare:
- It is normal to feel a ‘tight’ or ‘heavy’ sensation for around a week or so after fitting, especially when sleeping. However, some clients have no sensitivity at all. Your head is still getting used to the extra weight and the new feeling of bonds in your hair. Don’t worry; this will stop! If this sensitivity continues, opt for a silk pillow case or take a pain killer before bed until the feeling desists.
- Avoid washing your hair for around 2-3 days after fitting; this allows bonds to seal completely.
- Don’t tie your hair up for the first two weeks – this prevents any discomfort, pulling or stress on your hair while your extensions are at their tightest.
- Maintenance appointments on Pre-Bonded Hair Extensions are required every few months. Your extensions will grow down at the same rate as your natural hair growth. You may pull some out occasionally with rough brushing; this is entirely normal. Your maintenance appointment allows your technician to re-bond the extension strands that have come out and top up if with a new bundle if required.
Brushing Pre – Bonded Hair Extensions:
- Correctly brushing your hair extensions will make them last longer, so ensure you have the correct brushes.
- Always use a Tangle Teese style brush or a Loop Extensions brush. These brushes are ideal as unlike paddles brushes they don’t have a bobble on the end of their bristles; which could get caught and pull on the extensions.
- We have our own Tangle Tamers and Loop Hair Extensions brushes on sale. However, they are available in most beauty stores.
- It is also worth remembering that you may lose the occasional strand; repeated brushing in one area, accidental pulling, re-growth and product build up can all cause this. Losing a few strands before a maintenance appointment is not a sign of incorrect fitting technique.
- If you pull a strand loose, hold on to them, and your technician will reinstall them for you.
Washing Pre-Bonded Hair Extensions:
Care should be taken when choosing products to use for the washing of your extensions. Some products can be too harsh and damage the hair.
- Avoid hair care products containing fruit acids. Never use products containing coconut oil or its derivatives.
- Our range of aftercare contains no Sulphates, Parabens of Acidic content; meaning they will nourish your extensions successfully.
- Hair extensions love Argan and Morrocan Oil – why not wash your hair with a shampoo and conditioner or a hair mask containing oils to give your hair a boost of lustre.
- Extend the life of extensions by keeping Argan Oil serum by your bed, run through the mid-lengths and ends of your hair before going to sleep. However, keep away from bonds which can break down with too much oil.
- Smooth over wet hair with shampoo and massage gently into the scalp, avoid circular, rough motions that could lead to tangling and slipping.
- Smooth shampoo down the hair in downwards motions, then to wash off – simply rinse under running water.
- Apply conditioner only to the mid-lengths and ends of your hair, avoid putting it on or near the bonds as this may soften them and cause slippage. Oils and conditioners (including natural scalp oil) will break down the bond in time and should be kept to a minimum.
- Choose a nourishing sulphate free conditioner and leave this on for a few minutes once or twice a week. Our Hair Extension Boost and Damage Repair treatments are excellent.
Drying Pre-Bonded Hair Extensions:
- Start by using a Tangle Tamer or Loop Extensions Brush to remove any tangles.
- Brush your hair in small sections; this prevents too much tension. Make sure to hold the hair just above the section you are brushing.
- Never get into bed with your hair wet.
- When using a hair dryer – dry your roots first using a cold or low heat setting, you want to avoid applying heat at the bonds.
- Tilt the nozzle down and move the hairdryer in a downward motion.
- Drying hair around a round barrel brush will keep the ends of your extensions smooth and silky. Avoid excessive pulling when drying, which could loosen the extensions.
Sleeping with Pre-Bonded Hair Extensions:
Don’t forget about your extensions when you go to bed!
- During the first few weeks after fitting; your hair may feel slightly uncomfortable and strange – this is normal and shouldn’t last for long.
- Brush your hair using a Tangle Tamer or Loop Hair Extensions Brush before bed.
- Tie in a loose plait or French braid and secure with a hair band.
Colouring Pre-Bonded Hair Extensions:
- We advise against dying extensions as they have already undergone colour processing and therefore have a different ‘history’ to your hair. Results cannot be guaranteed, and colouring will reduce the lifespan of the extensions. Secret Hair Extensions accept no responsibility for colour damaged extensions.
- If you choose to dye your hair extensions, we cannot accept liability for any wrong colouring or damage to hair during colouring processes.
- Ensure you use a trained stylist to colour your hair correctly; carry out a strand test with your stylist before to see the expected colour.
- If you need to dye your roots or wish to add some highlights, simply ask your hairdresser to dye only your ‘T-Section’, this requires only your hairline and parting coming into contact with any product or bleach.
Removal of Pre-Bonded Hair Extensions
For the removal of Pre-Bonded Hair Extensions, please ensure you always return to Secret Hair Extensions for a trained technician to carry this out for you. Attempting to do so yourself could cause damage to the extensions or your hair. Use Secret hair Extensions UK Hair Extensions Removal Solution for optimum results.