Trying to prevent greasy hair and caught in a never ending cycle of shampooing and grease build up? Washing your hair can be an absolute pain, sometimes it seems as soon as you’ve washed and it blow dried, it needs washing again…and sometimes you need those extra minutes in bed that you should be using to shower! Here are our tips on how to prevent greasy hair and keep your tresses feeling fresher for longer!
- Leave it alone! We love to play with our hair, whether twirling it around our fingers whilst concentrating or begging our boyfriend to play with it for us! This is a sure fire way of making our hair greasy the next morning. The solution; leave those locks alone! To make your hair last for longer whilst feeling fresh, simply style it in the morning and don’t touch!
- Don’t wash it! This is a very common mistake that a lot of us make. Whilst washing your hair does cleanse it of grease and leave it looking clean, your scalp then produces oils to replace those lost while you were singing in the shower. The cycle of constantly washing your hair but always being greasy the day after is created when you are washing the natural oils out of your hair too often, meaning your scalp is working over time to replace them. The solution; only wash your hair 2-3 times a week. Although this may be difficult and first and your dry shampoo consumption will increase, your hair will be healthier in the long run and you will break the cycle of needing to wash your hair every day.
- Make sure you’re washing your hair properly! Although most of you will know how to do this, it will surprise you how many of us still make the mistake of too much shampoo and conditioner when washing. Aim to use a 1op coin size of each, less if your hair is fine. Using too much can be too heavy on your hair and can be harder to wash out completely meaning you could run the risk of your hair being lank, the build up of product and a greasy effect despite being fresh out of the shower!
- Use the right conditioner for your hair! The temptation to buy the nicest, fruitiest smelling conditioner can be overwhelming. But doing so can leave your hair lank and greasy in the long run. Different hair types need different conditioners: Fine Hair – Light weight conditioner to create body.
Damaged Hair – Fortifying, protective condtioner, olive and shea oils will provide great protection.
Curly Hair – Use a conditioner designed for your hair type to prevent frizz and keep those curls defined
5. Clarify! Using a clarifying shampoo and conditioner 2 – 3 times a month is a great way of removing any stubborn product from your hair. The products you use daily may not rinse of fully with ordinary shampoos and cause build up. A clarifying shampoo will get rid of all of this and leave it feeling fresh and clean.
Hopefully these tips will help you find a routine to prevent greasy hair that works for you and stops you over washing your hair!