At Secret Hair Extensions, we are not just hair extensions specialists, but hair extensions lovers! This is why we have created our “care for hair extensions” guide; which will show you how to prepare your hair before the fitting as well as our best aftercare recommendations.
- Before your fitting – preferably at your consultation appointment – make sure you inform your technician of any allergies, damage, sensitive scalp issues, hair loss or underlying issues that may need to be considered before a fitting.
- Wash your hair the night before your fitting – but do not rinse with conditioner.
- Come in with product free – preferably straight – hair.
- It isn’t unusual to feel a ‘tightness’ or ‘heaviness’ for around a week or so after fitting, especially when sleeping; this is because your head is still getting used to the extra weight and the bonds in your hair – don’t worry, this will ease.
- Try to not wash your hair for around 2-3 days after fitting, this prevents lubricating the bonds.
- Don’t tie your hair up for the first two weeks.
- Maintenance appointments every 6/8 weeks are ESSENTIAL, your extensions will grow down with your own hair and you may pull some out occasionally during brushing, this is completely normal. During our maintenance appointments we will put in fresh bonds and move the extensions up again.
- As hair extensions do not receive any nutrients from your diet, they will experience wear and tear and over time wont feel as soft as they did on their fitting. Using a hair mask and heat protection spray will help greatly.
Brushing Hair Extensions:
- Correctly brushing your hair extensions will make them last longer, so ensure you have the correct brushes to do so.
- Always use a Tangle Teezer or a Loop Hair Extensions brush. These brushes are ideal because they don’t have a bobble on the end of their bristles; such as on a paddle brush – which could get caught and pull on the extensions.
- We have our own Tangle Teezers and Loop Hair Extensions brushes on sale, although these can also be easily purchased elsewhere.
- It is also worth remembering that you will most probably lose the occasional strand; repeated brushing in one area, accidentally pulling, re- growth and product build up could cause this.
- If you lose a few strands before a maintenance appointment, don’t panic! Keep hold of them and we will reinstall them free of charge.
- Avoid any hair care products containing fruit acids, in particular ‘Aussie’ or ‘Fructis’.
- Instead, use a ‘natural’ shampoo, such as the Timotei ‘Pure’ range, L’Oreal ‘Ever Pure’ Range and so on.
- Hair extensions love Argan Oil and Morrocan Oil – why not wash your hair with a shampoo and conditioner or apply a hair mask containing one of these oils to give your hair a kick of added moisture.
- We like to keep some Argan Oil by our beds, so that at night we can simply run it through the ends of our hair before we go to sleep.
- When shampooing, apply the shampoo to wet hair and massage gently into the scalp – never use circular or rough motions as this can cause tangling and even cause them to slip.
- Smooth the shampoo down the hair in downwards motions, then to wash off – simply rinse under running water. NEVER wash your hair in the bath.
- Only apply conditioner to the mid-lengths to the ends of your hair, avoid putting it on or near to the bonds as this may lubricate them and cause them to slip.
Drying Hair Extensions:
- Start by using a Tangle Teezer or loop hair extensions brush to remove any tangles.
- Make sure to hold the hair just above where you are brushing, this avoids pulling on the extensions.
- Where possible try to leave your hair to dry naturally as it avoids applying heat to the hair.
- NEVER go to bed with your hair wet.
- If drying with a hairdryer – dry your roots first using a cool or low heat setting, you want to avoid putting heat on the bonds.
- To dry the hair simply tilt the nozzle down and dry in downwards motions.
Sleeping in Hair Extensions:
Don’t forget about your extensions before you go to bed:
- In the first few weeks after fitting, your hair may feel slightly uncomfortable and strange – this is normal and wont last long.
- Brush you hair before bed using a Tangle Teezer or Loop Hair Extensions brush.Then tie in a loose plait and secure with a hair band.
Colouring Hair Extensions:
- Although it is possible to colour Secret Hair Extensions, we recommend not doing so unless absolutely necessary.
- If you choose to colour your hair extensions, we cannot accept liability for any unsuccessful colouring or damage to hair which may take place during the colouring process.
- Where possible always make sure you have a trained stylist colour your hair professionally; we recommend a strand test before to see the resulting colour.
- When needing to dye your roots or to add some highlights, simply ask your hairdresser to dye your ‘T-Section’, meaning only your hairline and parting will come into contact with any product or bleach.
Maintenance and Removal of Hair Extensions:
When the time comes for a maintenance appointment or for the removal of old hair, please ensure you come back into the studio to have one of our trained technician to do this for you.
Attempting to do so yourself could cause damage to the extensions or your own hair.
We cannot accept responsibility for any extensions once you have allowed someone else to interfere with them.